Death of Henry Cohen
In the Methodist portion of the Young cemetery is the grave of Henry Cohen, the headstone is surrounded by an iron picket fence and the inscription is partly in Hebrew.
Some of the inscription reads, ”Henry Asher, died Monday 14 Sep AM 5628, aged 31 years and was brought to his place of repose on the eve of the New Year 5629 “, and there is a masonic symbol on the headstone.
Henry Cohen was a member of the large Jewish family of Cohen’s from Goulburn who showed a great interest in Lambing Flat after the discovery of gold.
A number of them made the move to Lambing Flat including Lazarus ,who opened one of the earliest hotels. Henry was a storekeeper, whilst his brother, Abraham, was the owner and licensee of the Albion Hotel.
The following is an extract from the Burrangong Argus reporting on the death of Henry Cohen:-
“It is with the deepest regret that we have to announce the death of Mr. Henry Cohen, which took place at the Albion Hotel on Monday last, at three p.m.
The deceased gentleman had on the preceding day gone out for a ride with some friends in the direction of Tumbleton Creek, and on returning home, when about five miles from town was thrown from his horse.
Although the actual accident was not witnessed by any of the party, it is believed that the horse Mr. Cohen was riding – a very awkward animal, and but recently broken in – must have swerved off the road and have thrown his rider ,either by coming into contact with a tree, or by unseating him by some unexpected plunge or side jump.
The horse being observed riderless caused the party to turn back, when Mr. Cohen was found lying quite insensible, although breathing.
Mr. Bell, who was one of the party, immediately galloped into town for Dr. Temple, who was quickly in attendance, and found the unfortunate gentleman still insensible, and evidently suffering from dangerous injuries.
Mr. Cohen was then removed with great difficulty into town to Mr. Abraham Cohen’s Albion Hotel, where Dr. Temple remained in constant attendance upon him, and exhausted all the usual remedies without avail, for the sufferer never rallied, and remained unconscious up until the time of his death
Note:- Cohen’s Albion Hotel was situated on the north east corner of Main and Burrowa streets.
On this corner was originally a small slab bark roofed cottage which was used as a sort of post office until the first official postmaster, Mr. Newman, moved the post office to his own cottage nearby.
Them J. Hawkins Butchart built the first Albion here in weatherboard early in 1862 and Abraham Cohen took it over later in the sixties. Cohen’s weatherboard Albion Hotel was destroyed in the big fire of April, 1874 and was rebuilt as a two storied brick hotel under the supervision of architect J. P. Leeder and opened in August 1876.
The IGA Supermarket now occupies this site.