An electrical fault is being blamed for a house fire which left an Edwards Street home in Young with extensive smoke damage on Monday afternoon.
The fire was discovered by a passerby around 2.30pm on Monday, October 10 who attempted to contact the owner before opening the rear door to the home.
The passerby opened the back door of the house after knocking and yelling, to find a large amount of smoke coming from the house.
“It’s definitely good for people to not go into a house where they can see smoke as it puts them in danger too, but he did the right thing and checked if anyone was in the house by yelling out which is good,” Fire and Rescue NSW captain Ryan Terry said.
Emergency services attended a short time later to find smoke coming from the roof section, chimney and windows.
It appears the fire originated from the lounge room and that some sort of electrical fault may have been to blame.
There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the fire.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.