We all have that one dish we go to in the summer months be it savoury, sweet or a salad.
Young Witness journalist Rebecca Hewson shares her favourite summer recipe below, but we want to know your favourite.
It can be quick and easy, already prepared, either way drop us a line and let us know at email@example.com or on the Young Witness Facebook page.
BLT and Chicken Salad
- 250g Rindless Bacon rashers sliced
- 250g Cherry/Roma tomatoes
- 1 small Turkish bread loaf cubed
- 180g Bocconcini cheese drained
- Olive Oil (for drizzling)
- Garlic for seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Baby spinach or mixed leaves
- ¼ cup Whole-egg Mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- Barbecue chicken or grilled chicken breast sliced
- Avacado sliced
Method: Parts of this recipe are able to be prepared earlier (or in the cooler part of the day) and stored in the fridge until needed.
- Preheat oven to 200C
- In a baking dish place sliced bacon, whole cherry tomatoes and cubed Turkish bread. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and toss until all covered. Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes (either serve warm or set aside to cool).
- In a container mix whole-egg mayonaise, lemon juice and wholegrain mustard until combined and set aside in the fridge to keep cool.
- In a salad bowl add baby spinach or mixed leaves, drained bocconcini cheese, avacado, sliced chicken, tomatoes, bacon and Turkish bread.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss and serve liberally.
This recipe serves between 4-6 adults comfortably and is very filling.
Rebecca loves this recipe as even her fussy eaters will chow it down (with or without the dressing) and it is very quick and easy to prepare.
When preparing in the summer months Rebecca suggests you do the cooking portion in the cool of the morning and store in the fridge as it is easy to throw it together when you get home from work, swimming, cricket or anywhere else you have been out in the summer sun without creating any added heat to the house in the afternoon, however in autumn it is just as delicious to eat this dish fresh from the oven.
Whether entertaining, hosting a dinner party or simply cooking for the family or yourself this dish is sure to be a winner over the hot summer months.