Power goes out with the magpie

Over 1600 residential properties in North Young were without power for several hours on Monday evening after it was alleged a magpie flew into a power box along Nasmyth Street.

Essential Energy workers were quick to attend and assess the situation before managing to return power to many residents that had taken to Facebook to find out what had happened.

One witness said they had seen a magpie fly into the power box before sparks were seen.

The sparks or as some locals called it ‘explosion’ resulted in fire services being called to extinguish several spot fires that were caused as a result.

In total residents on the north of Young were without power for around an hour.

Some members of the community took to Facebook to thank Essential Energy and NSW Rural Fire Service and NSW Fire and Rescue workers for acting so quickly, especially knowing with the time of day most of them were likely heading home for dinner when the incident occurred.

POWER OUTAGE: Residents in North Young were without power briefly on Monday evening after a magpie supposedly flew into a power box. Photo: SMH.

POWER OUTAGE: Residents in North Young were without power briefly on Monday evening after a magpie supposedly flew into a power box. Photo: SMH.