History of Young with Brian James - Early Church of England history

Early Church of England history

History of Young - Church of England.

History of Young - Church of England.

The Rev.Cartwright was the first church of England priest to visit the Young district In 1840 on his way to the Bland to visit Whitton’s associates (Whitton was a bushranger executed in Goulburn Goal ) he stayed at White Bros’ Burrangong homestead for three weeks and baptised Sarah White.

Sarah White was the first white child to be born in the Young district.

The earliest record of any regular service was in 1859.

The first service at Lambing Flat was in 1860 conducted, Rev.Thomas Kemmis, it was held in a barn in Boorowa Street illuminated at night by a few colza-oil lamps lent by storekeepers Roberts and Hatton, forms and chairs were loaned by Dick Deely of the Limerick Arms Hotel.

Bishop Barker of Sydney visited on 12 October 1861 with Rev.Kemmis and Rev. R .H. Mayne.

After a service at Phillips Diggers Arms Hotel, a meeting was held to secure a regular priest and the building of a church.

A tent church was built in Cloete Street and later a weatherboard church was erected.

The Rev.Mayne was gazetted as “Chaplain for the Burrangong Goldfield “ but left towards the end of 1862.

The first Bishop of Goulburn, Dr Thomas, in 1864 entered into an agreement with the people of Young whereby they would supply a stipend of £250 and £25  per year for rent of a Parsonage, and the Bishop would supply a clergyman to reside in Young and hold services three Sundays out of four.

Bishop Thomas appointed Rev .W .H .Pownall, who arrived in Young on the 18 August 1864.

Let his reminiscences tell the story:

“When he arrived he spoke to several people about his residence, also about the church. They said as far as the residence is concerned we will take you to a house which is the best we can secure. That house was a small slab structure with a bark roof. It was remarkable for its ventilation, his wife was fond of astronomy, and she could follow her pursuit without going out of the house. He did not want for a shower bath, for no matter what room he went into; he could have it if it were raining.

He said to the people; “what about the church ?” .

They replied;” It’s sold “.He secured a small room for the first service, but after the Court House was built, he used that. 

Shortly after the arrival of the troops at Lambing Flat Capt. His wife joined Wilkie. In the midst of her Christian labours Capt.Wilkie died.

Mrs.Wilkie donated  £500  and collected another £200  to build a memorial church.The foundation stone was laid by James Roberts, of Currawong, on March 23, 1865.

Bishop Thomas consecrated St.John's Memorial Church in August 1865.

Dean Pownall remained in charge of Burrangong district for five years, and during this time he built churches at Young, Grenfell and Murringo.Dean Pownall died in 1901.Canon Howell served from1906 to 1911.

Historian Brian James contributes his column to the Young Witness on behalf of the Young Historical Society.