George Webb applied for a license to operate a hotel at his premises on the Young-Grenfell Road on August 14, 1877 and by August 25 it was operating.
He had named it the Pastoral Hotel.
It was situated halfway between Young and Grenfell and was used by Cobb and Co.
George had previously operated a hotel at Goulburn.
By June 1878 George had cancelled his license and closed the hotel.
Others were waiting to replace Webb’s hotel and John Baker applied for a license at the same court sitting.
This hotel was almost opposite Jerrybang Lane and took over the name “Pastoral Hotel”.
This site is marked by a cluster of Pepper trees and the Baker’s had a good sized vineyard here.
Baker maintained his license for a number of years but after the license lapsed they continued to sell wine .
John Lynell, store keeper, in 1881 obtained a licence for the Bulla Creek Hotel at Monteagle, then known as Bulla Creek.
One week later Joseph Simmons, who had been a shepherd at Pring’s of Crowther Creek, obtained a license for his Welcome Home Hotel also at Bulla Creek.
In January 1882, John Joseph Creighton opened his Australian Hotel on the bank of Burrangong Creek opposite the gates of Bullaworrie.
This site is marked by a cluster of Pepper trees and a couple of Kurrajong trees.
Mrs Creighton had married Thomas O’Brien in Ireland and they came to the goldfields of Victoria and then to Lambing Flat.
O’Brien was killed in an earth fall and Mrs. O’Brien married John Creighton, who was a grazier from Victoria, at Young buying cattle.
George Webb did not stay out of the hotel business long.
He purchased the buildings on the corner of Main and Burrowa Streets occupied by the Post Office Hotel and renovated the hotel and ran it for some time.
The Railway Hotel in Clarke Street, Young was built and named in the early 1880’s by George Webb of “Bloomfield”.
It was situated in Clarke Street, just over the railway line and received its name for that reason.
A later licensee was John Marsden Grime who had a son who went on to hold three Australian boxing Championship titles.
Billy Grime, known as the Wombat Walloper, went on to win the Australian Flyweight, lightweight and welterweight titles.
The licence was transferred to the Bribaree Railway hotel in 1938 with the coming of the railway.
The old hotel building still stands and was used as a corner store and flats.
On the corner where the stables were situated a poultry chilling works was built, this has been converted to a gymnasium.
Where this hotel is situated was known as lower Chance Gully and hotels owned by Sipple and Hardwick were located in this vicinity.
The foundations of the Railway Hotel suggest that there was three types of construction used in the foundations, unsawn timber, sawn timber and bricks.
Sourced from “Jerrybang” by Ross Maroney.