UPDATED: The Bureau of Meteorology has updated its severe thunderstorm warning for Young.
According to the update residents can expect large hailstones, heavy rainfall and damaging winds.
EARLIER: The Bureau of Meteorology issued a severe thunderstorm warning for Tuesday afternoon with strong winds expected to batter the Hilltops region.
According to the warning a trough lying over inland districts is producing thunderstorms.
The gusty thunderstorms over Young and other inland areas may also locally raise dust according to meteorologists.
Meteorologists have said the severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in and around Young over the next several hours.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The Bureau of Meteorology will issue the next warning at 4:15pm.