The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for Young this afternoon.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in the Hunter, North West Slopes and Plains and parts of the Mid North Coast, Central Tablelands, Central West Slopes and Plains and Northern Tablelands districts. Locations which may be affected include Newcastle, Armidale, Tamworth, Gunnedah, Moree and Narrabri.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds over the next several hours in the Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains, Australian Capital Territory and parts of the Hunter, Illawarra, South Coast, North West Slopes and Plains and Central West Slopes and Plains districts. Locations which may be affected include Batemans Bay, Orange, Canberra, Goulburn, Yass and Dubbo.
Some thunderstorms may produce intense rainfall that could lead to dangerous and life-threatening flash flooding over the next several hours in elevated parts of the Mid North Coast district. Locations which may be affected include Barrington Tops.
Be aware that run-off from rainfall in fire affected areas may behave differently and be more rapid. It may also contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.
Stay vigilant and monitor conditions. Note that the landscape may have changed following bushfires.
- Barrington Tops (Bonnie Doon) recorded 45mm in 30min around 12:30pm.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.