Help needed now more than ever: Salvation Army doorknock appeal goes online

Young and Cootamundra corp officer Lieutenant Michael Hindle encourages people to give online. Photo: Peter Guthrie
Young and Cootamundra corp officer Lieutenant Michael Hindle encourages people to give online. Photo: Peter Guthrie

With the Salvation Army expecting greater demand for their services from people negotiating the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic, now more than ever do they need your help.

This year's Red Shield Appeal has been hugely disrupted due to government restrictions and measures in place to prevent spread of the virus, resulting in the annual doorknocking event being moved online.

For 55 years The Salvation Army have knocked on doors each May.

Young and Cootamundra corp officer Lieutenant Michael Hindle says the goal is to raise $6000 in Young, which can only be accomplished with your help.

"This year The Salvation Army cannot collect like it has in past years for the Red Shield Appeal, outside shopping centres or do its national door knock due to COVID-19. This has affected us greatly in how we raise much needed funds. This year we are raising money locally online," Mr Hindle said.

"Our Red Shield Appeal goal for Young is to raise $6000. Last year we were able to raise $2701.30 from the generous donations of the local community. Last year's funds helped The Salvation Army Young corps support those finding it hard during the lead up and during Christmas with our Christmas Cheer program. The 2019 Christmas Cheer program saw 76 house holds seeking help, which saw 94 adults and 138 minors supported through the money raised in the 2019 Red Shield Appeal."

This year we expect that the needs will be greater as we negotiate our way out of COVID-19.

Michael Hindle

Lietantet Hindle expects more people this Christmas to seek help, as the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic continues.

"This year we expect that the needs will be greater as we negotiate our way out of COVID-19. When the community donates to the Red Shield Appeal through The Salvation Army in Young it allows us to claim 80 per cent of the donations back for local mission and support, and the other 20 per cent helps our national mission support like our rehabilitation centres."

The Salvation Army is encouraging people to become local online doorknockers, or digital fundraisers, to help raise funds through their own personal social media campaign. Nationwide, The Salvation Army hopes to enlist 10,000 virtual collectors to sign up and fundraise for the Red Shield Appeal digital doorknock on May 23 and 24 to help meet the challenging times ahead.

Sign up and volunteer to fundraise here.

Lieutenant Hindle thanked businesses in Young who have jumped on board as sponsors in 2020.

"I would like to thank some of our local business that have jumped on board to be some of our local sponsors this year. They are Good Start Early Learning, Lime N Soda, Urban Retreat and Terry Brothers Carpet Court," Mr Hindle said.

The Salvation Army's most recent annual report noted its social services provided more than one million sessions of care to Australians in need.

HAVE YOUR SAY: