TIMELINE OF EVENTS IN FORMER MELBOURNE PRINCIPAL MALKA LEIFER'S ABUSE ALLEGATIONS
* Child abuse and rape allegations surface against Melbourne school principal Malka Leifer in 2008
* The allegations stemmed from her time as principal of Melbourne's Ultra-Orthodox Adass Israel School
* In 2008 the Israeli-born Leifer left the school and returned to her birth country
* Leifer was charged with 74 counts of rape and child abuse in Victoria in 2011
* Australia filed an extradition request and Leifer was put under house arrest in 2014 to start an extradition process that still continues
* A mental health evaluation determined she was unfit to face a hearing in 2016
* She was again arrested in early 2018 after police found evidence that she had faked her mental incompetence
* Leifer was on Tuesday ruled mentally fit to face an extradition hearing to determine if she's extradited from Israel to Australia
* The Jerusalem District Court accepted a psychiatric panel's unanimous decision that deemed Leifer fit to face the hearing
* Leifer's defence is expected to appeal the court's decision, meaning the case would then move to the Jerusalem High Court
WHAT HAS BEEN SAID
* Prime Minister Scott Morrison
"This is some news we've been waiting for for some time and I want to commend all of those who have been campaigning strongly on this."
* Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews
"This is a very, very big development. A very important step in making sure that justice is done.
"We will all be careful I know in the way that we talk about these issues because now that this individual will be forced to come home and face justice, we don't want to undermine that."
* Former Victorian premier Ted Baillieu
"These are very, very strong girls and their commitment, their dedication is what's counted more than anything in this process."
* Federal MP Josh Burns
"Malka Leifer needs to face the 74 counts of child sex abuse in a Victorian court, and we will not rest until that happens."
* Victoria MP David Southwick
"This is a bipartisan move today, this is us coming together no matter what side of the political divide."
* Blue Knot Foundation Dr Cathy Kezelman AM
"Malka Leifer, whisked away to the other side of the world, was seemingly protected within her closed ultra-Orthodox community, and the powers that be.
"Her frequently-claimed mental illness, now shown to starkly contrast to her recorded normal daily life, is a devastating contrast to that of her victims."
Australian Associated Press