NRL grand final victory completes Crichton's 'childhood dream'

Young's Angus Crichton pictured
following Sunday's NRL grand final
victory. Photo by Sitthixay Ditthavong
Young's Angus Crichton pictured following Sunday's NRL grand final victory. Photo by Sitthixay Ditthavong

Angus Crichton has described Sunday night's NRL grand final victory with the Sydney Roosters as his "childhood dream".

The Young Yabbies junior played 67 minutes of the decider after replacing the injured Mitchell Aubusson during the early stages of the opening half.

Playing second-row, Crichton made 39 tackles and ran for 62 metres as the Roosters scored late through James Tedesco to clinch a dramatic 14-8 victory.

The victory marked the Roosters second straight premiership, the first for Crichton in his debut season for the club.

Speaking with Sydney Roosters media after the match, Crichton described the achievement as a childhood dream.

"I have no words," Crichton said.

"I'm still processing this it doesn't feel real. This is a childhood dream for me. I'm light headed, I don't know what to say. I'm just so happy I'm here, I'm home," he said.

Moving from Souths Sydney Rabbitohs to Sydney Roosters this season, Crichton had a tough year beginning most games from the bench and was dropped from Brad Fittler's NSW Blues State of Origin squad.

However, he said he couldn't be prouder of his teammates and sees himself establishing his career as a Rooster.

"I couldn't be prouder of this group of boys and I just want to keep on working and keep building," he said.

"This is where I want to be, this is the stage we want to be on and with this team around me, this coaching staff, this organisation, I'm so proud of this club."

After the Roosters opened the scoring and extended the lead to 8-0, Canberra Raiders reduced the deficit to 8-6 at the break through a try to Clive Churchill medal winner Jack Wighton.

The second half turned into an arm wrestle and with Cooper Cronk binned for 10 minutes, the Roosters line held strong repelling a number of attacks.

With less than 10 minutes remaining, Latrell Mitchell produced a miraculous flick pass while being brought to ground to open space for winger Daniel Tupou.

He found Tedesco inside who sailed over to score the match-winning try.

"We always knew they were going to come to play. It wasn't pretty but we got there," Crichton added.